Close

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    ive seen quite a few need motors go from these kits though... newer motors seem better no? And those examples are still 40kish
    Your saying you've seen quite a few blown motors? Where? I haven't.....
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes locally... several due to ringlands i think?

Rickys white one is one example that i remember off hand. @bobS
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes locally... several due to ringlands i think?

Rickys white one is one example that i remember off hand. @bobS
    Your talking about a bearing issue that happens on stock cars. In 08's it seemed to be worse but even that is mass hysteria that really isn't as big a problem as people make it out to be. There are plenty of 100k+ mile cars with no issues running.....

Its not a result from supercharging, although if you have a early car with bearing issues i'm sure the increased power doesn't help. Do a oil analysis and your fine, I plan to change my rod bearings out proactively this winter just to be safe even though my oil analysis reports are fine.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yea you are right the bearings... ive heard 08-09 have the issues but im not in that scene like you are...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yea you are right the bearings... ive heard 08-09 have the issues but im not in that scene like you are...
    How can you say you have seen quite a few 'let go' from these kits when you mention one car and the issue isn't the kit but the bearings just as it was with the S54 early on?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    OEM car is forced induction from the factor the aftermarket supercharged car is not. Imagine if it was built for boost?
    Imagine if the M4 had the extra liter of displacement, worth at least 125whp more. It would be no contest.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmwsport Click here to enlarge
    Imagine if the M4 had the extra liter of displacement, worth at least 125whp more. It would be no contest.
    Yeah, imagine if it did have an extra liter of displacement, revved an extra 1200 rpm, and had two extra cylinders. You are right. It would be no contest.

I love your math on the liter of displacement adding 125 whp just because btw.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bmw should have just twin turbod the S65 I'm and built it for boost. That would have been cool.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, imagine if it did have an extra liter of displacement, revved an extra 1200 rpm, and had two extra cylinders. You are right. It would be no contest.

I love your math on the liter of displacement adding 125 whp just because btw.
    Your math is wrong. If it were 3.8 liters, had no two extra cylinders, and revved no higher, the M4 would stilll would have beat this FI S65 M3. Do you actually doubt it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Your math is wrong. If it were 3.8 liters, had no two extra cylinders, and revved no higher, the M4 would stilll would have beat this FI S65 M3. Do you actually doubt it?
    I'm curious how my math is wrong.

If it were 3.8 liters and had two extra cylinders that certainly would help level the playing field as far as potential is concerned. It wouldn't suddenly just win because it is 3.8 liters though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Who cares about more cylinders? Displacement is where the power comes from...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Who cares about more cylinders? Displacement is where the power comes from...
    Well yes to an extent but how big and heavy do you really want your pistons and rods?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well yes to an extent but how big and heavy do you really want your pistons and rods?
    I think around 3.8 liters is fine. Close to the GTRs and some of the GT3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think around 3.8 liters is fine. Close to the GTRs and some of the GT3s.
    Ah I see your thinking. N54 is a 3.0 liter inline-6 so it is a 2JZ and this getting to 3.8 liters somehow makes it a GTR.

It just doesn't work that way.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I feel like BMW left the S55 at 3.0L so it would fall in the 2.0 to 3.0 liter class for International Engine of the Year. Not have to go up against the McLaren 3.8L V8, that will most likely dominate the 3.0 to 4.0 category for a number of years.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ah I see your thinking. N54 is a 3.0 liter inline-6 so it is a 2JZ and this getting to 3.8 liters somehow makes it a GTR.

It just doesn't work that way.
    Absolutely not my way of thinking. Just there are plenty of six cylinder engines in the 3.8l range. From imports to domestics.
    Maybe I should have listed them all? That displacement can yield some good HP. But why are we even discussing this. I was implying greater displacement in general has greater Power potential, yet you seem to want to argue against the obvious.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Absolutely not my way of thinking. Just there are plenty of six cylinder engines in the 3.8l range. From imports to domestics.
    Maybe I should have listed them all? That displacement can yield some good HP. But why are we even discussing this. I was implying greater displacement in general has greater Power potential, yet you seem to want to argue against the obvious.
    How about this to clarify for you. Let's just say we made the S65 in that M3 a three liter without changing anything else. Then made
    the S55 a four liter. Same boost pressures as used in this race video. What do you think the outcome would be? But oh.... The extra two cylinders and higher recline should make the M3 still win? Bet you it wouldn't even be close.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How about this to clarify for you. Let's just say we made the S65 in that M3 a three liter without changing anything else. Then made
    the S55 a four liter. Same boost pressures as used in this race video. What do you think the outcome would be? But oh.... The extra two cylinders and higher recline should make the M3 still win? Bet you it wouldn't even be close.
    Your understanding of engine dynamics could use a little work.
    07 335XI(A008006) 6AT ~105K miles JB4 G5 ISO VSRF DP's
    09 135I(VK80379) 6MT. Race Project car.
    1) Install Modified Motiv 600 Kit[HTA3076R w/ tial .82] 2) Moton 4 suspension. 3) Build high flow intake manifold with multi-port fuel and relocate OFH 4) Build full cage possible rear diff upgrade 5) Complete staged twin setup with HTA4205R [w/Tial 1.16] 6) Complete dry sump system 7) Sequential maybe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    vtec ftw

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ingeniator Click here to enlarge
    Your understanding of engine dynamics could use a little work.
    I don't even need to go into needless details. If you knew anything about engine dynamics you should know the influence of increased displacement in FI engines. Displacement is one of the most crucial factors. You have to be ignorant to deny that the 1liter advantage to the S65 means nothing. Do you really think decreasing it's displacement to 3 liters like the M4 would make it more powerful?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't even need to go into needless details. If you knew anything about engine dynamics you should know the influence of increased displacement in FI engines. Displacement is one of the most crucial factors. You have to be ignorant to deny that the 1liter advantage to the S65 means nothing. Do you really think decreasing it's displacement to 3 liters like the M4 would make it more powerful?
    I don't think anyone could really argue that added displacement gives an advantage. It just more impressive when a car with a smaller displacement is able to outperform cars with larger displacements.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by B00stGeek Click here to enlarge
    I don't think anyone could really argue that added vehicle displacement gives an advantage. It just more impressive when a car with a smaller displacement is able to outperform cars with larger displacements.
    I absolutely agree with you. The M4 was the more impressive performing vehicle in this race given its significantly smaller displacement. Others are diehard S65 groupies, reveling when they see one beat a S55.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Displacement(Effective) is important but if you want to argue that redline and compression ratio have no effect on output you need to shake your head. If you have a 3.0l motor at 8500rpm it has more displacement then a 3.0l motor at 7200. So if we make it even and just stroke and bore a S55 to be even with a S65 the S65 will win with less boost.

3.0l at 8500rpm = 25500
    4.0l at 7200rpm = 28800
    1) Install Modified Motiv 600 Kit[HTA3076R w/ tial .82] 2) Moton 4 suspension. 3) Build high flow intake manifold with multi-port fuel and relocate OFH 4) Build full cage possible rear diff upgrade 5) Complete staged twin setup with HTA4205R [w/Tial 1.16] 6) Complete dry sump system 7) Sequential maybe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I absolutely agree with you. The M4 was the more impressive performing vehicle in this race given its significantly smaller displacement. Others are diehard S65 groupies, reveling when they see one beat a S55.
    Yeah I'm a S65 groupie. Has nothing to do with the fact your understanding of motors is at a grade school level.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This thread is a huge $#@!ing fail

Stock vs Stock is a fair comparison.

A tune vs a tune is a fair comparison.

A $9,500 supercharger kit vs a $600 Jb4 isn't a fair comparison.

The e9x advantage is supposed to be that it has a V8 and huge displacement vs a I6 and small displacement that it makes the power difference with FI instead.
    Last edited by Legionofboom; 11-01-2014 at 10:13 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast